PPF

Saturday, May 23, 2009

Let the Blogging about Proton Begin!


My goal is to update this blog at least once a week. Not that I think I have some “in” to pediatric proton, but like everything else, when you focus you notice. One of the things that jumps out to me, is that proton versus photon in terms of killing cancer is running just about equal in studies published to date. The issue, not discussed often, is the after effects. Radiation at certain levels kills cells. This is the desired outcome: cell death. But when healthy cells surround cancer cells, you have to ask where does the radiation path start and stop? Please take notice of these differences. I spoke recently to a top physicist in regards to proton radiation, and he said, “This type of treatment should be standard of care for all cases of radiation to people in their mid-40’s….why destroy healthy tissue unnecessarily?” I got it. But why is it that this is such an uphill battle? Lack of published studies is one good reason and the cost another. But I digress.

I read a blog recently about the swine flu and the enormous outreach for this problem. Comparing it to children’s cancer, we, the parents of a child cancer patient, can’t understand why there isn’t the same outrage for children’s cancer. It is horrific to watch a child go through cancer treatment. I can honestly say in my life I have never used the word "horrific" until my baby got cancer.

I wanted to end this post by pointing out all the new centers that are coming up over the next 3 years. We go from 5 proton centers now to 11 centers by 2012 see: http://www.pediatricprotonfoundation.org/proton_treatment/u.s._proton_centers/
Lots of people obviously believe in it, and are willing to put their money where their mouth is. Thank you! And now I will follow and post about the dedication each will have to pediatrics. I know Philadelphia is making a dedicated room just for pediatrics, and Oklahoma is pushing to start pediatrics as soon as January 2010! Wahoo!

Stay tuned! Check us out @ www.pediatricprotonfoundation.org. We have loaded some new success stories of children that made it to proton. Check them out at http://www.pediatricprotonfoundation.org/proton_treatment/children_success_stories/

Thanks for following us!

No comments:

Post a Comment