PPF

Saturday, June 6, 2009

New Centers in 2009

Soon we will have 7 proton centers operating in the U.S.! The more the merrier if you ask me.

Procure's Oklahoma City Proton Center will open July 8, 2009 and is already accepting inquiries and beginning to schedule patients for consultations. This center can be reached by calling 888-847-2640. Some pediatric patients may be able to be treated there depending on if they need anesthesia. You can check out this new center by going to http://www.procure.com/. They have a nice newly designed website with tons of information available.

The other new center will be opening in November 2009 in Philadelphia - the Roberts Proton Therapy Center. This center can be reached by calling 1-800-789-PENN(7366). You can visit this center on the web at http://www.pennhealth.com/. They are planning to have a gantry room dedicated to pediatrics so this makes me very happy.

I was reading some of the very latest information available on protons versus photons, and it is indisputable regarding the superiority of protons in use for children. Children are still developing and having radiation hit healthy tissue can cause devastating effects. Especially when a child has a brain tumor. The brain is very sensitive to radiation. Doses as low as 18 gy can cause developmental delays, hearing problems, loss of iq (this happens every year after radiation for many years to come) and many other terrible problems. I heard a very reknowned radiation oncologist for St. Judes discuss this subject and it made me get goose bumps hearing the devasting effects of radiation to the brain. He touted the scientific evidence as showing protons vastly superior over photons or IMRT especially with brain tumors. I asked him why doesn't St. Judes have proton then? He said I would have to ask the powers that be. I plan too. Many parents flock to St. Judes because they are the only pediatric hospital dedicated to solely to pediatric cancer. Of course, I understand children can be referred to the other centers, but still.

I may be like a caped crusader here. Just an empowered Mom that feels her son's life was saved with protons. I am making it my job to make these facts known. I hope someday to get the attention of the media. My goal is to make sure in my lifetime that all of our cancer kids that need radiation treatment can get to the protons. Having more centers will ensure more slots are available for the children that truly have the most to gain from proton treatment. Join me in this effort - will you? Check out our website: www.pediatricprotonfoundation.org.

No comments:

Post a Comment